Recipe: Hash Brown
Craving for some Hash Brown This Eid al-Fitr? Let us show you how to make it at home.
- 3 large potatoes peeled
- 1 fresh egg
- Half red &/ white onions finely chopped ( about 2 Tablespoons)
- Butter for shallow frying
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- Salt to taste
Here’s a video that teaches you how to make Hash Brown at home:
- Peel the potatoes and wash well
- Cut into medium sizes
- Parboil the potatoes in salted water for 5-7 minutes
- While waiting for the potato to parboil, crack the egg and separate the yoke from the white.
- Take the potatoes from the fire, strain the water and pour cold water on it, strain that too and allow the potatoes to cool.
- While the potatoes is cooling, fry the chopped onions in a bit of butter
- Grate the potatoes on the large size of the grater.
- OFF the FIRE-Add the grated potatoes to the sautéed onions and mix well, add the salt, black pepper.
- With a spoon, take a bit of the egg white, and spread or brush the potatoes, and keep the compact together in a flat shape.
- Use a shape cutter of choice and cut the flattened potatoes into shape.
- Continue till all done.
- Scoop out a table spoon of butter into the frying pan and allow to melt and ready, put your shaped potatoes in one at a time, and well-
- spaced for turning, keep turning till well cooked, nicely brown in colour.
- Continue step 12 till all done.
- Serve on its own as a starter, or in a burger.