The vlogger said “oh, that’s bitter, that is really bitter” as she chomped into the plant before her mouth started to feel numb and she rushed to hospital
A panicked woman was rushed to hospital after eating a poisonous plant she thought was a harmless aloe vera leaf on an internet live stream.
The 26-year-old Chinese woman, surnamed Zhang, broadcast her unusual food fetish to several hundred viewers and even bought two massive green leaves for the performance.
She claimed the leaves were aloe verab – and that there was no better way to reap the plant’s benefits than by chowing down on the thick, fresh leaves.
But her “Aloe Vera Feast” – as her channel’s stream was title – turned very bad, very fast as she actually ate the leaves of a century plant – which is also called the agave Americana.
The poison desert plant from the Americas, which resembles aloe vera, is sold in China as an ornament, and its likeness to aloe vera is thought to have fooled the woman.
In footage of the live broadcast, Zhang can be heard saying: “This is great. Yum.”
But viewers sensed something was wrong when she added: “Oh, that’s bitter. That is really bitter.”
Zhang, who is still recovering in hospital, later claimed her mouth went “numb” and she felt like her throat was “on fire”.
She also “lost her voice” after three bites of the agave Americana and immediately took herself to hospital, abandoning the live stream entirely.
Doctors found that she had also been suffering from severe rashes and blisters, and later pumped her stomach to remove the harmful substances from her body.