Over 140,000 delegates of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) will vote on Saturday October 18 to elect one of these candidates: two time flagbearer, Nana Addo Danquah Akufo Addo, Alan K Kyerematen and Hon Francis Addai Nimoh.
These three candidates have been campaigning vigorously nationwide, trying to convince delegates to vote for them.
Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, General Secretary of the NPP, Kwabena Adjei Agyepong indicated that the campaigning season will come to an end today.
He reminded that there shall not be any campaigning at the polling stations; adding it is unacceptable for party members or delegates to wear T’shirts or other items belonging to the various candidates at the polling stations.
Below is a portion of a statement released by the party to guide delegates
– There shall be no campaigning at the polling station on Election Day.
– Party supporters shall not wear T’shirts of candidates to the polling station on Election Day.
– Voters who display the candidate of their choice at the polling station after marking the ballot paper will have their votes nullified (Art. 49 Secret Ballot).
– Refusal of candidate’s agents to sign declaration of results sheets will not invalidate the election results.
– No voter shall take photos of any “thumb-printed” ballot paper.
– There shall be no violence at the polling station.
– No party official shall give directives to the presiding officer/delegates.
– No media house shall declare the election results of the election; only provisional results emanating from the various polling stations shall be communicated to the general public.
– Only the Electoral Commission of Ghana shall declare certified results of the election.
– Constituency patrons and council of elders are not eligible to vote.