News

EU, Spain React To Kano Mosque Bombing

The European Union and Spain have reacted to November 28 Kano Central Mosque bombing that reportedly claimed over 120 lives.

The EU’s reaction was contained in a statement issued on Monday by its High Representative/Vice-President, Federica Mogherini, a copy obtained by ThisDay.

According to the statement, by targeting a Muslim place of worship, the Boko Haram sect have again proven their total disregard for the sacredness of human life as well as their desire only to spread terror and suffering.

“The EU expresses its condolences to the families of those victims, the Muslim community and all Nigerians. The union stands with the Nigerian authorities and its people in the fight against terrorism and the respect for human rights,” the statement read.

Spain on the other hand also condemned the attack in a statement issued by its embassy in Abuja, describing the bombing of the mosque as a “cruel and cowardly attack” by the Boko Haram sect.

READ ALSO:   Woman Duped of Her N13million Using Fake Dollars

Kano-central-mosqueThe country said it conveyed deep sorrow at the extent of loss of lives, and sympathised with families of the victims.

“The government reaffirms its absolute rejection of terrorist violence, especially when, as on this occasion, it happens in a place of worship where believers gather to pray,” the statement read.

Meanwhile, a victim of the Kano Central Mosque attack, Malam Shehu Ahmed, has told Channels Television that a strange white man detonated the bomb remotely. The explosion killed over 120 people at the Kano Central Mosque last week Friday.

Several reactions have trailed the bomb blast that rocked Kano central Mosque, the national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, characterized the perpetrators as “godless people,” while the presidential aspirant on the APC platform, former Head of the State, Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (rtd.), vowed to end insurgency and other forms of anxiety in the country, if elected President in the 2015 general elections.

READ ALSO:   NDC stole from you, take gifts when they bring them - Bawumia

It would be recalled that the EU on November 25, announced plans to give the sum of €5 million to boost its humanitarian aid to the displaced victims of the Boko Haram insurgency in the north-eastern part of Nigeria.