News

Military Confirms Loss Of Baga To Boko Haram

The Nigerian military has confirmed the loss of Baga in Borno State to members of the Boko Haram Terrorist group.

The Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshall Alex Badeh, rising from an emergency security meeting in Abuja on Tuesday, told reporters that Niger and Chad had withdrawn their troops from Baga, and this was in part, responsible for the takeover of the town that had been in contention.

He however said that the two countries had not pulled out of the multinational Joint Task Force contingent fighting the terrorist group in the north-east.

Despite the recent losses to the militants, Badeh assured Nigerians that the military would win the war, no matter what it takes.

Also addressing reporters after the security meeting, Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima said that the 2015 general elections must hold in the north east despite the security threats on the people.

According to him, elections have taken place in countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and several other terror hit states, there is therefore no reason why election should not hold in Borno. What is important, according to him, but the important issue is how to safeguard the lives and property of the people of those areas.

READ ALSO:   Nigerian Prophet TB Joshua praises Akufo-Addo’s statesmanship

He lamented the loss of several territories to Boko Haram, but noted that with a robust plan by the military, the war against insurgency could be worn.