News

The Big Fight: Freddie Roach expects Cotto to rearrange Canelo’s face

Miguel Cotto’s trainer Freddie Roach continues to be the most quotable participant in the leadup to Cotto-Canelo. The Hall of Fame trainer sounds very optimistic that his fighter will overcome the against him Saturday night against Canelo Alvarez.

Roach thinks that Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’s face might not look too good after his fighter WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (40-4, 33 KOs) gets done working him over this month in their fight on HBO PPV. 

Roach doesn’t really have a lot of bad things to say about the 25-year-old Canelo, but he doesn’t believe he has the experience to beat the 35-year-old Cotto.

The experience that Canelo (right) has had in the past has been in controversial wins over Erislandy Lara and Austin Trout, and a one-sided defeat at the hands of Floyd Mayweather Jr.

“He’s [Canelo] still young. He has youth,” Roach said to RingTV.com.

“He has a good right hand, and has knockout power in that right hand and he comes to fight. I just wonder how handsome he’ll be after the fight. I really think this will be the best fight of the year,” Roach said.

READ ALSO:   NDC Chairman’s Bodyguard Granted Bail

“Canelo will be there for Cotto’s jab all night long, and I don’t see how Cotto will be able to miss with it. Canelo comes forward like a red crab, and he’s there to be hit at all times.” 

“Cotto doesn’t need to necessarily get in the pocket with Canelo to trade with him, because he’s got a jab like a power punch. I think Cotto’s jab a lone will rearrange Canelo’s face in this fight at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.”

CONTROVERSY

Just four days before his megafight with Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto has been stripped of his WBC middleweight belt. Cotto will remain the lineal champion — meaning he is the man who beat the man — but the WBC is no longer recognizing him as the title holder.

The WBC says that Cotto and Roc Nation Sports did not comply with the organization’s rules and regulations, which is why he is being stripped of his title.

READ ALSO:   Afigya-Kwabre set to exceed revenue target

“The World Boxing Council worked tirelessly through a process that began over two years ago to secure the celebration of the highly anticipated fight between Miguel Cotto and Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez. The WBC is proud of that accomplishment that is giving boxing fans around the world a very important fight to see,” the WBC said in a statement. “After several weeks of communications, countless attempts and good faith time extensions trying to preserve the fight as a WBC world championship, Miguel Cotto and his promotion (Roc Nation Sports) did not agree to comply with the WBC rules and regulations, while Saul Alvarez has agreed to do so. Accordingly, the WBC must rule on the matter prior to the fight.

“The WBC hereby announces that effective immediately it has withdrawn recognition of Miguel Cotto as WBC world middleweight champion.”

While the WBC did not announce the specific reason for Cotto being stripped, ESPN’s Dan Rafael reports it is over Cotto refusing to pay $300,000 in sanctioning fees for the fight.

READ ALSO:   Audiomack teams up with Daily Paper to sponsor annual football tournament

Cotto had already paid $800,000 to Gennady Golovkin, the mandatory challenger, as a step-aside fee to allow the Canelo fight to take place. According to Rafael, Cotto and his camp felt the $300,000 fee on top of that was “akin to extortion,” and so they refused to pay it.

You may be asking, what does this mean for Saturday night’s megafight at Mandalay Bay?

Nothing, really. The only difference is that Cotto will not be walking in with the green and gold belt, and if Cotto wins, he won’t be leaving with the belt.

Alvarez, who did pay his sanctioning fees to the WBC, would become the lineal champion and claim the WBC world middleweight title belt should he win on Saturday.

Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports