We had so many beautiful and interesting memories, growing up as kids in Nigeria. In between all the folktales and ridiculous myths and stories, there were many hilarious episodes. Nobody really knows the origin of any of these myths, but everyone was afraid of the consequences of not following them. Here are some of the most popular myths that we all grew up believing.
1. If you swallow an orange seed, an orange tree will grow on your head
2. If you beat a boy with a broom, he becomes impotent
Of course, nobody wanted to risk it.
Image: Life In The Fast Lane
3. India beat Nigeria 99-0 in a football match
Legend has it that the ball either looked like a ball of fire or became a roaring lion when the Nigerian goalkeeper tried to save it.
4. When it’s raining and the sun is shining at the same time, it means an Elephant just had a baby
5. If someone crosses over your foot, your kids would look like them
6. Drinking coconut water would make you an olodo
7. If you whistle at night, snakes and evil spirits will come and say hello
10. If you look between your legs at night, you’d see a ghost or demon
11. If you eat in your dreams, it means you’ve joined a witch coven
Image: Nollywood Social
12. If you write someone’s name in red biro and burn it, the person will die.
Seriously, what was the logic behind this?
13. If you pick money or sweets from the ground, you will turn into a tuber of yam.
14. When your palm itches, it means you’ll get a lot of money soon