The top floor of a two storey building at South Suntreso near Trust care hospital, a suburb of Kumasi in the Ashanti region exploded around 4:30am on Wednesday spreading to other rooms.
No casualty was recorded but properties worth millions of Ghana cedis have been lost in the inferno.
Abusua FM’s News Editor Frank Jackson Aboagye reported that one of the occupants of the top floor attempted lighting the stove to boil water when the LPG cylinder exploded instantly.
He added that it took firefighters several hours to douse the fire.
‘The occupants of the two storey including adults and children started running out of the building when they sensed the explosion. Out of fear, owners of three parked vehicles left their car keys behind but the area boys managed to drive the automated ones out of the building,’ he explained.
Some of the occupants of the building who were wearing their boxer shorts and others wrapped with cloths were seen wailing.
Electricity in the area has been shut down.
The Ashanti regional fire commander of Fire Service DCFO Semekor Fiadzo confirmed the fire was caused by a gas explosion