Until a few years ago in Nairobi, people lived in either houses or flats. Now, however, there seems to be a new habitation unit: the “apartment.”
The apartment is not for anyone. It’s for the cool peeps – the kind of people that can take an Uber from Nairobi CBD to Nakuru.
Here are some hilarious differences between flats and apartments:
1. Apartments have a watchman that opens the gate for you while in flats, everyone has ‘kifunguo ya gate’ to open it themselves.
2. Apartments have managers while flats have caretakers.
3. People in apartments mind their own business while every tenant in a flat knows everything about their neighbor.
4. Apartments have compounds full of cars while flats have compounds full of toy cars made by kids.
5. Apartments have DSTV dishes while flats have…just dishes.
6. Kids in apartments are picked and dropped from school by buses while kids in flats are dropped by ‘nduthis.’
7. Apartments are sound proof while the walls of flats make you hear even your neighbor’s breathing.
8. Apartments have no theft while in flats, even pegs get stolen.