Akua Donkor robbery trial adjourned

Accra, May 9, GNA – An Accra Circuit Court, hearing the case involving four persons who allegedly robbed Madam Akua Donkor, founder of the Ghana Freedom Party (GFP), has adjourned the matter.

On Tuesday morning when the case was called the second and third accused persons told the court that their Lawyer was not well and had asked them to inform the court about his condition.

The court on that basis adjourned the case to May 15 for continuation of the trial.

At the previous sitting, the counsel for the second and third accused persons concluded their cross examination of the third prosecution witness in the name of Sergeant Yesulom Atsutse.

The prosecution was to present its fourth prosecution witness in the case.

The accused persons are Yakubu Yusif, trader and Central Regional Chairman of the GFP; Banabas Kayase, her driver and secretary of the party; Opoku Agyemang, trader; and Abdul Razak Shaibu, a member of a GPRTU taskforce.

Two others, Joe and Nuamah aka Lion, are currently on the run. The accused persons are on remand.

The prosecution said on that fateful day, Ms Donkor together with Yusif and Kayase were on board her vehicle – a Mitsubishi Pajero – from Taifa heading towards the Kotoka International Airport to catch a flight to the United States of America.

‘Akua decided to pass home and so on reaching Sowutuom immediately after the Agbeve Herbal Clinic area, Opoku called Kayase on phone and asked where they have reached while Razak, Joe and Lion were waiting to execute their agenda,’ Chief Supt Tuaruka told the court.

Chief Superintendent Duuti Tuaruka, prosecuting, said the day being December 30, 2016 at Taifa in Accra, the six persons had earlier conspired to rob Madam Akua Donkor.

The prosecutor said the accused persons at about 02:30 hours at Sowutuom, a suburb of Accra, robbed Madam Donkor at gunpoint and snatched her travelling bag containing plane ticket, Ghanaian passport, voter ID card, $30,000 and GH¢3,000.00.

He said the three, armed with guns on board an unregistered motorbike, appeared behind the vehicle, and ‘as soon as Kayase spotted the armed men, he reduced the speed of the car, showing double hazard indicators that the complainant was in the car.’

Kayase, according to the prosecutor, parked the vehicle and the armed men attacked the complainant with guns and took the monies and items and then dragged her from the vehicle and escaped with the booty.

The prosecution said on 31st December, last year, Razak was arrested when he was called by Yusif to come for his share of the booty.

When Razak was searched, US$4,900 was retrieved from him.

He said upon interrogation Razak admitted the offence and mentioned Joe and Nuamah as his accomplices.

He said that after the operation, they shared the monies and threw the bag into a nearby bush at Anyaa.

He led the police to retrieve the bag. GNA

By Hafsa Obeng, GNA