The state has insisted that it extended an official invitation to former president and flag bearer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), John Dramani Mahama to attend the 63rd Independence Day parade held in Kumasi last Friday, 6th March, 2020.
The absence of the former president became the major talking after the well-attended and colourful occasion, when a photo that had his name labeled on an empty chair went viral on social media, suggesting that he snubbed the national event though a seat had been reserved for him.
Deputy Information Minister, Pius Enam Hadzide however insists that a formal invitation, including the Order of Celebration were dispatched to Mr Mahama and all other dignitaries a month ahead of time as protocol demanded.
“The former Heads of State, the diplomatic corps, members of the Council of State and other dignitaries were officially invited by the planning committee and the former president (Mr Mahama) falls in that category; my checks have indicated that all surviving former presidents received their invitations individually, so it is not true that any statesman was not invited”, he said in an interview on Okay FM monitored by MyNewGh.com on Monday.
But aide to the opposition leader, Lawyer Edudzi Tamakloe said what the Deputy Information Minister said cannot be true and dared him to mention the particular office and person that the said invitation was served upon.
He said the government has set out to “disgrace” Mr Mahama at the least opportunity and that what happened after the event by the sharing of the photo of the empty seat reserved for the former president by government functionaries is testament to the fact that the whole episode was planned and executed.