Promises, as it stands now, have become what we called the bait used by politicians to convince the electorates to vote for them in elections.
Many Ghanaians have lamented over unfulfilled promises from political leaders when they are voted to take up control of national affairs.
Both the New Patriotic Party (NPP) and the National Democratic Congress (NDC) have had a fair share of public outrage over unfulfilled promises.
Former President John Dramani Mahama promised to construct 200 Day Senior High Schools in the country during his tenure in office but failed to live up to the promise.
He also promised to stabilize the distribution of water and electricity into the homes of Ghanaians but again fell short of his words.
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo who is the current president of Ghana has also come under heavy criticism for making huge promises and failing to fulfill them.
Many have nicknamed him “King Promise” because of unfulfilled promises.
Before the 2016 elections, the then-presidential candidate of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Nana Akufo-Addo, promised Ghanaians reduced utility tariffs, low borrowing by the government, improvement of sanitation among others but once again those words were not attended to.
As election 2020 draws nearer, politicians, as usual, have started making numerous promises to the populace in order to win political power.
President Akufo-Addo in his seventh address to the nation on COVID-19 promised to construct 94 hospitals across the country before the end of the year.
He has also made other promises through his Ministers of State which include constructing four (4) interchanges in Kumasi before the end of the year.
Today Opera News brings to you 16 promises made by the flagbearer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), John Dramani Mahama in order to win political power.
See the list below:
1) Expand and double the capacity of the 37 Military Hospital.
2) Construct two international-standard Infectious Diseases Centres.
3) Establish two additional international research centres.
4) Establish a National Infectious Disease Response Plan.
5) Make Ghana safe for journalists.
6) Bring back companies collapsed by NPP.
7) Six Regional Hospitals in new Regions
8) Build six new Universities in new Regions.
9) Free Technical and Vocational Education.
10) Cancel Teacher National Service and Licensure Exams.
11) Comprehensive review of free SHS.
12) Complete the abandoned E-blocks
13) complete the abandoned hospital projects
14) Reduce the size of govt by 40 ministers
15) Fix the Eastern corridor road
16) Dualise Aflao, Cape Coast and Kumasi roads.