The lives of Electoral Commissions prior to the Fourth Republic of Ghana were interrupted due to military coups. At the time of the UNIGOV referendum in 1976, Justice Isaac K. Abban was appointed by the Supreme Military Council under Ignatius Kutu Acheampong. In 1979, Justice Joe Kingsley Nyinah was the Electoral Commissioner during the general election. For the Ghanaian presidential election and parliamentary election in 1992, the Electoral Commissioner was Justice Josiah Ofori Boateng.
1. Joe Kingsley Nyinah was appointed as the chairman of the electoral commission in 1979 in latter part of the rulling junta, the supreme military council under Clifford Akuffo.
2. Josiah Ofori Boateng is a retired justice of the Supreme Court of Ghana and a former Chairman of the Electoral Commission of Ghana. He served on the Supreme Court bench from 1999 to 2001 and chaired the Electoral Commission of Ghana from 1989 to 1992. Unfortunately we did not get any picture of Justice Josiah Ofori Boateng
3. Afari-Gyan worked as a lecturer and a professor in Political Science at the University of Ghana. He has also lectured in the United States and Nigeria. He was a member of the Committee of Experts that drafted the Fourth Republican Constitution for Ghana.
In 1992, he was appointed Deputy Chairman of the Interim National Electoral Commission by the Provisional National Defence Council, which was ruling as a military junta, with the hope of returning the country to civilian rule. His job was to ensure that the November 1992 presidential election and the December 1992 parliamentary elections were free and fair. Jerry John Rawlings, the Chairman of the PNDC, who was also Head of State, stood and won the elections. He was appointed as the chairman of the electoral commission in 1993 and served until 2015.
4. Charlotte Osei who is privately known as Charlotte Kesso-Smith Osei was a teaching assistant at the Faculty of Law, University of Ghana, Legon in 1994 to 1995. She worked as a lawyer for Laryea Company in Accra from 1994 to 1997, then as Senior Legal Officer at the Ghana Commercial Bank from 1997 until 2002. She also lectured part time in commercial law at the university from 1997 until 2003. She was appointed to serve as the chairperson of National commission for Civic Education from 2011 to 2015 where she was appointed as the chairperson of the electoral commission after her predecessor went on retirement. She served the commission until 2018 when she was dismissed on grounds of financial malefeanance.
5. Jean Adukwei Mensa was appointed as the Chairperson of the Electoral Commission of Ghana on 23 July 2018, after her predecessor was removed from office. For two decades, Mrs. Mensa has been a leader in policy research and advocacy.She has been involved in the development of policies such as the Presidential Transition Act of 2012, the Revised 1992 Constitution of Ghana (draft), the Political Parties Funding Bill, and the Revised Political Parties Bill. She is currently the chairperson of the electoral commission.
Please you can follow me for more educative write ups. Thanks
Content created and supplied by: Donspemgh (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform
YOU MAY LIKE
How Can We Let This Go – Kevin Taylor Fumes On Facebook Live
23 minutes ago
Opinion: It is time to cut down on the number of Ministers or Deputy Ministers in Parliament
24 minutes ago
Should Akuffo Addo be bias in his second term due to this?
24 minutes ago
Techiman Circuit Court Bans Ballot Box Snatcher From Voting Activities In The Next 5 Years
25 minutes ago
Ghana’s First Election Without The Influence Of J. J Rawlings.
26 minutes ago
“If You Just Go And Present Bogus Evidence To The Supreme Court, You Will Lose” – Lawyer To NDC
29 minutes ago
They Are Cute, Meet The Beautiful Children Of Osofo Kyiri Abosom. [Pictures]
46 minutes ago
ELECTION 2020: EU Observers Just Release Report On Conduct Of Ghana’s Election
47 minutes ago
Kennedy Agyapong gives thumbs up to Ashanti region for voting massively for Nana Akuffo Addo.
56 minutes ago
EC Release Essikado-Ketan Parliamentary Results Featuring 6 Candidates Instead of 3 – NDC Fumes
59 minutes ago
View all comments