Crime UK USA World News

Libby Squire: Man who raped and murdered student jailed for 27 years

The man who raped and murdered Hull University student Libby Squire has been jailed for a minimum of 27 years.

The 26-year-old was convicted by a jury on Thursday following more than a days’ worth of deliberations.

Relowicz followed Ms Squire as she attempted to find her way home in a drunk and confused state in the early hours of 1 February 1 2019.

He lured Ms Squire into his car before driving her to a playing field where he then raped and murdered her.

Relowicz then dumped the 21-year-old’s body in the River Hull and it was later found in the North Sea.

During a four-week trial, Ms Squire’s parents, Lisa and Russ, heard how Relowicz picked up their daughter as she wandered around the Beverley Road area of Hull on a freezing night.

A mass of circumstantial evidence linked Relowicz to the philosophy’s students disappearance, although pathologists could not determine exactly how she died.

Her disappearance sparked a huge search involving police and members of the public.

Relowicz, a bacon factory worker from Poland, was arrested after detectives trawled through hours of CCTV and saw that his car had been cruising in the area.

The court heard that Ms Squire had been out with friends on the evening of January 31 2019, but was refused entry to a club because she was drunk.

Her friends paid a taxi driver to take her home but, instead of going into her shared student house, she wandered around, fell over in the snow, and refused offers of help from passers-by, until she encountered Relowicz.

He was to tell police five versions of what happened and only admitted to having consensual sex with Ms Squire after his DNA was discovered in her body.

He admitted a series of what his barrister called “utterly disgusting” sexual offences in the months before that night, committing acts of voyeurism and stealing intimate items from student homes as trophies.

Giving evidence through an interpreter, Relowicz, of Raglan Street, Hull, told the court he was driving around the city on the evening of Ms Squire’s disappearance because he was “looking for a woman to have easy sex” with.

He was found guilty of rape unanimously by a jury of five men and seven women and guilty of murder by a majority of 11 to one.

In a victim statement, Ms Squire’s mother told the court: “There are no adequate words that can explain the torture of living without my Libby.

“In any times of trouble she wanted me, her mum. She knew I would do anything in my power to help her.

Ms Squire’s father said: “I’ve lost my little girl and I’m heartbroken.

“I struggle to look at her pictures and can no longer watch her video clips, I am afraid to recall her memories because of the pain they bring. How cruel is that?”

Additional reporting by Press Assocation