The Duke of Edinburgh is likely to remain in hospital for “observation and rest” over the weekend and into next week, sources have said.
The Queen’s 99-year-old husband was admitted to King Edward VII’s hospital in London on Tuesday “as a precautionary measure” after feeling ill with an ailment unrelated to Covid-19. He walked in unaided.
A royal source has told the Press Association: “Following consultation with his doctor, the Duke of Edinburgh is likely to remain in hospital for observation and rest over the weekend and into next week.
“As we have said previously, the doctor is acting with an abundance of caution. The duke remains in good spirits.”
Police officers have been stationed outside the hospital.
Both the duke and the Queen received their first dose of the Covid vaccine in January.
Philip, who is known for his “no fuss” attitude, retired from public duties in 2017 and has rarely appeared in public since.
He has suffered from several ailments over the years, including a blocked coronary artery and a bladder infection.
He spent four nights in hospital in December 2019, when he was treated for a “pre-existing condition” and was discharged in time for Christmas.
There will be concern for the duke because of his age, but members of the royal family have continued with duties this week.
The family are planning celebrations to mark Philip’s 100th birthday on 10 June, lockdown restrictions permitting.