Meghan Markle is calling out Buckingham Palace for allegedly spreading “falsehoods” about her and Prince Harry in the latest clip from their highly-anticipated Oprah Winfrey interview.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will open up in an interview with Winfrey airing on Sunday after they stepped back as senior members of the Royal Family last year, and in a new clip from the discussion, Meghan accuses Buckingham Palace of playing an “active role” in spreading lies about them.
“I don’t know how they could expect that after all of this time, we would still just be silent if there’s an active role that the firm is playing in perpetuating falsehoods about us,” Meghan said. “And if that comes at the risk of losing things, there’s a lot that’s been lost already.”
“The firm” is a term used to describe the royal family, CNN notes.
Days before this interview, Buckingham Palace announced it would investigate a report from the Times of London on allegations that Meghan bullied staffers, saying it’s “clearly very concerned about” these allegations in what The Washington Post described as a “highly unusual” statement. A spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex blasted the report as a “calculated smear campaign based on misleading and harmful misinformation,” adding that the allegations coming out shortly before the interview with Winfrey was scheduled to air is “no coincidence.”
Asked by CNN about the newly-released clip, Buckingham Palace said it had “no comment.”
“There’s a lot that’s been lost already.”
— CBS (@CBS) March 4, 2021